The age of artificial intelligence is coming, and nature of jobs is expected to take a drastic turn. Design industry is one of the fast-moving industries which is undergoing massive transition every day in the digital age. Design has been looked as a vital component of success in the emerging scenario. Thus, the demand for design related courses has significantly increased in recent times.
To bridge the gap between the changing job market requirements and the academic curriculum, World University of Design – Sonipat, a design education specializing university,has introduced a bouquet of new niche courses across various creative streams for the academic year 2020-2021. These new courses include Computer Science & Design, User Experience & Interaction Design, International Fashion Business and Performing Arts.
Sanjay Gupta, VC, WUD while announcing the new courses said, “All the courses are designed on the basis of exhaustive research and insights of industry stalwarts. These courses are aimed at making our students future-ready and we are confident that these new courses will help in bridging the gap between corporate and academia.”
The newly launched industry specific courses are as follows –
- COMPUTER SCIENCE & DESIGN (4-years B. Des) – Over past several years, focus on user experience, Interaction Design and Design Methods in all IT products and services have increased. Thus, demand for professionals in all these spheres has gained momentum. This course is specially curated to develop an interdisciplinary skill set among students and provide them with opportunities across fields such as the arts, entertainment/ gaming, mobile application development, multimedia, product/web design, cyber security, digital analytics and other interactive systems. Under this course there are 4 specializations which include – Games developer, 3D programmer, Web developer and Multimedia programmer.
- USER EXPERIENCE & INTERACTION DESIGN (2-year M. Des) – This master level programme is aimed graduates of traditional streams to prepare them for a human-centered experiences in an interactive digital context. The program focuses on computer technology and usability problems faced by computer users globally; consequently, teaching students the methodologies needed to solve these problems. Emergent technologies will be used to teach students about new design concepts and designing for the future. After completion of this course one can explore a career in the IT industry, business, education, health, media, defence and government as Digital Project Manager, Creative Director, Mobile Application Designer, User Interface Designer and Web developers etc
- FASHION BUSINESS MANAGEMENT (3-Year BBA) – This course focuses on interdisciplinary collaboration and integration of design thinking at all levels of Strategy, Planning and Implementation in the global & local fashion business. Students will engage with digital technologies from the outset and will have the opportunity to build their skills throughout the course. The course will offer opportunities to students for global experience through International study programs. One can tap into the broad range of available career options after this course such as buying, merchandising, marketing, branding, PR, Publishing & Creative Direction etc.
- INTERNATIONAL FASHION BUSINESS (2-Years M.Des) – International Fashion Business program is designed to forge leaders in the global world of the fashion. This master’s program comprises of three main focus areas i.e.
- Fashion knowledge & analysis: Fashion cycle, fashion studies, fashion trend forecasting, analytics, quantitative methods and design thinking
- Data analysis & planning: Digital marketing, Omni channel marketing, data analysis, & strategic planning
- Business application: import/export, domestic retail, overseas commercial development, fashion operations, online and offline distribution
From the placement perspective, students will get employment opportunities in Fashion Design, Fashion Retail, Fashion and/or Luxury Brand Management and Fashion Business Management besides entrepreneurship.
- PERFORMING ARTS – DANCE, MUSIC (4-year BPA, 2-year MPA) – The performing arts industry in India reached INR275 billion in 2018 according to FICCI report. Thus, the need for courses in new age performing arts has gained relevance. This is one of the most unique blends of theoretical and practical curriculum offered by WUD which includes subjects
like Theoretical Surveys, Stage Performance, Appreciation Seminars, Comparative studies. This course can help students in fulfilling their career aspiration while pursuing their hobbies and passions.