The President of India while presenting the Nation Awards urged teachers to build a new generation that is full of knowledge and wisdom, so that it can successfully address all the contemporary challenges.
On September 5, the Teachers’ Day, 46 teachers from across the country received National Awards from the President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, for their exceptional and innovative services. This year’s award winners are dominated by teachers who through outreach have involved community, alumni in bettering infra of their schools. Digital technology enabling work, environment cause and promotion of co-curricular and activity-based learning are other areas where several awarded teachers have made admirable contribution, which can potentially inspire many others in their schools.
Speaking on the occasion, the President said that today, the world is moving from information era to knowledge era. However, knowledge alone will not be able to ensure the safety of human civilization. Along with knowledge, it is also necessary to have a conscience. Only when knowledge is combined with wisdom, it can solve human problems.
“In this globalized and highly competitive world, we have to establish a balance between ‘artificial intelligence’ and ‘human compassion’ and between ‘digital learning’ and ‘character building’. Only on the basis of such rational knowledge, we can tackle the present challenges such as climate change, pollution, melting glaciers etc. Teachers can contribute significantly in the national campaign of water conservation by instilling in students the importance of water conservation.”
Earlier in his greetings to the teacher community, President Kovind said that Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan’s life and work forever will inspire teachers to discharge their duties with full devotion. “On this auspicious occasion, I extend my best wishes to the entire teaching community that has ably guided our students to become the nation’s valuable human resource, thereby making an invaluable contribution for building a strong and prosperous nation”.
In his greetings on the Teachers’ Day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi emphasized on outcomes and requested support of teachers on eliminating single use plastic use.
Focus on outcomes:
Today, India is witnessing a paradigm shift in the education sector. We have moved away from the conventional approach of merely focusing on outlays and are now giving priority to outcomes. In this context, it makes me happy to see our teachers working hard to ignite a spirit of research and innovation among young minds. It is this spirit that will give our youth the power to do exceptional things for themselves and the nation.
Help curb single use plastic:
This Teachers’ Day, I have a request for my fellow teachers. As you are aware, India has taken up a mass movement to eliminate single use plastic. I seek the active support and participation of the teaching community in this movement. If teachers explain to the students the harm caused to our environment by single-use plastic and advice them to shun it, students will feel motivated to become a part of the cause. This would be a great tribute to beloved Bapu on his 150th Jayanti.
Summary of awardees:
- Rajesh Kumar, Hindi teacher at Government Senior Secondary School, Mohanpur, Bawal, Distt Rewari, Haryana, developed a Hindi room in the school and deployed innovative and activity based methods to teach the language. Significantly, he has adopted two toilet blocks in the school, which he cleans himself, to demonstrate the importance of cleanliness to students.
- Vikas Mahajan , Principal of Government Boys Senior Secondary School, Chamba, Himachal Pradesh for mobilizing the alumni and community for making contributions to provide uniforms to the economically weaker students and for providing free coaching to aspirants for various entrance tests.
- Gurnam Singh, a master in the Government Upper Primary School Lahari, Barnoti, Distt Kathua, Jammu & Kashmir made personal efforts to get a site for the construction of school building donated. He sensitizes students on environmental conservation and has carried out an extensive plantation programmes and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan activities. He has trained over 1000 teachers in various aspects of school management and teaching.
- Amarjit Singh, Science Master at Government Senior Secondary School, Ranghrial, Budhlada, Mansa, Punjab has introduced the ICT and smart classroom concepts in several schools where he has worked. He has authored books on environment and also developed e-content for primary classes.
- Dr. (Smt.) Kalpana Sharma, Principal of Swami Vivekanand Government Model School, Banera, Bhilwara, Rajasthan has mobilized the local community to donate land for the school. She has authored books on Biology for class XI of the Rajasthan State Education Board. She has been instrumental in developing a herbal, nutritional garden as well as facilities for waste management in the school.
- Dr. Lalit Mehta, Teacher at Government Higher Secondary School of Excellence, Sagod Road, Ratlam, Madhya Pradesh has developed ICT material in science which he made available on social media for free use by students. He has also organized science fairs.
- Ashutosh Anand, Assistant Teacher at Upper Primary School, Miyanganj, Dariyabad, Barabanki, Uttar Pradesh is a member of the SCERT team for writing text books, e-books and for e-content development.
- Ramesh Prasad Badoni, Lecturer (Physics) at Government Inter College, Misraspatti, Sahaspur, Dehradun, Uttarakhand is a national-level ICT mentor for state schools and works closely with CIET (NCERT). He is a member and resource person for Bal Kalyan Parishad, Uttarakhand, which looks after welfare and scientific development of kids from underprevileged backgrounds.
- Devendra Kumar, Vice Principal of Shaheed Bhai Bal Mukund Government Sarvodaya Vidyalaya, Shankaracharya Marg, Zone Seven, North Delhi, Delhi has promoted innovation in science education. He has written books to explain the basics of Physics. He has created interactive software and low cost teaching aids for science. He has conducted national integration camps.
- Virendra Shantubhai Patel from Government Upper Primary School Bhimpore Ashramshala, Bhimpore, Nani Daman, Daman has taken the initiative to use e-content for teaching-learning activities. Every classroom in his school has internet facility. He has set up a School Nutrition Garden with the help of local villagers. His school has been declared a model school for the region.
- Dr. (Smt.) R.C. Suvarna Fonseca, Teacher at Carmel Higher Secondary, Majorda, Nuvem, South Goa, is a qualified homeopath and uses her medical skill to provide treatment to needy children. She has developed counselling techniques to help students manage time effectively and to develop positive life-skills. She leads the Red Cross unit in the school.
- Dr. Amol Subhash Bagul, Assistant Teacher at Shri Samarth Vidya Mandir, Prashala Sawedi, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra has successfully mobilized funds for the procurement of ICT material and hardware for the school. He has prepared many educational videos.
- Battu Suresh Kumar, Head Master Gr. II Zilla Parishad High School, Nidamanuru ,Vijayawada Rural Mandal, Krishna, Andhra Pradesh has successfully mobilized the community for improving enrolment, school infrastructure and setting up of smart classrooms.
- Bendi Asha Rani School, Assistant English Zilla Parishad High School Jeedimetla, Quthbullapur, Medchal-Malkajgiri, Telangana has contributed to setting up smart classrooms in her school and for the development of e-content. She has developed innovative methods for teaching communicative English among teachers. She has authored three English textbooks.
- Shashi Kumar B.S., Assistant Master Government High School Yelekyathanahalli, Nelamangala, Bangalore Rural, Karnataka has set up smart classrooms and has developed e-content He is a State Resource Person for training teachers of science and computer science across the state. He contributes to radio programme and has developed teacher training modules. He has created a ‘school wiki’ for the benefit of students.
- Suresha Marakala, Assistant Teacher at Government High School, Besur,Somwarpet, Kodagu, Karnataka has developed Jeevan Shikshan way of teaching/learning based on Gandhiji’s Basic Education concepts to the students through enjoyable activities. He teaches social science through activities including plumbing and mask-making.
- Pappu Harijan, Head Master at Upgraded Middle School Kulhariya, Aminpur, Amarpur, Banka, Bihar focuses on development of scientific temper among students. He has created interest in local cultural activities among students who in-turn have represented the state in national level cultural competitions. He has written and directed school plays.
- Seema Chaturvedi, Head Mistress at Government Middle School Syahimudi , Katghora, Korba, Chhattisgarh has mobilized community support for the establishment of a computer lab and a smart class in the school. She has led the overall development of the school as a well regarded institution resulting in movement of students from private schools to the government school headed by her.
- P. Rajesh, Principal of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Udmari, Kalaigaon, Darrang, Assam has developed e-content for the teaching of Economics at the higher secondary stage. He has actively organized seminars, workshops, and sports activities for the holistic development of children.
- Dr. M. Mansoor Ali, B T Assistant, Diamond Jubilee Higher Secondary School, Gobichettipalayam, Erode, Tamil Nadu has been practicing innovative teaching through dramatics and adoption of joyful learning experiences. He has encouraged students to take up tree plantation on a large scale.
- Selvakkannan R. Head Master Panchayat Union Primary School, K Paramathi, Karur, Tamil Nadu has successfully mobilized the local community for improving school infrastructure including the setting up of smart classrooms. He transformed the school into a green campus and has developed a herbal garden.
- Mahesh Kumar, M. P.D. Teacher Government Lower Primary School, Cheriyakkara, Kayyur, Nileshwar, Kasaragod, Kerala constant efforts have led to a substantial increase in enrolment. By involving the local community, he has converted the school in to a place of joyful learning. He has deployed a Mobile App ‘Know my child’, for day to day interaction with parents on the progress made by the children. He himself drives the school bus gifted by the alumni.
- S. Sasikumar, Primary School Teacher at Pavendhar Bharathidhasan Government Primary School, Koonichampet, Villianur, Puducherry has helped mobilize adequate funds to improve school infrastructure. He has been the brain behind establishment of an effective social audit system for the school.
- Anandkumar Babu Khalasi, Head Teacher at Primary School Bhagad, Gandevi, Navsari, Gujarat has promoted sports and yoga among the students. He has created special text books for students so as to reduce the weight of the school bag. He has developed a school garden. He has introduced health cards for all children.
- Kanchan Khodabhai Pandya, Assistant Teacher from Mamtamandir Vidyamandir Palanpur, Banaskantha, Gujarat is a teacher in a school for the hearing-impaired. She has built effective liaison with parents and the community to support the development of the children.
- Dr. Abdul Hakeem, Assistant Head Master Shaheed Jawan Muthukoya Memorial Govt Senior Secondary School, Amini, Lakshadweep has been involved in launching of e-class room, English living camp and happy reading and review initiatives.
- Dr. Bency Joy, Graduate Trained Teacher at Government Middle School, Kinmai, Car Nicobar, Nicobar, Andaman & Nicobar Islands has been instrumental in developing a model for effective classroom which lays emphasis on integrating different aspects. Dr Joy is actively involved in the psychometric testing and psychological counselling program of students.
- Dr. A. Jebin Joel, Post Graduate Teacher at Atomic Energy Central School Four, Anushaktinagar, Mumbai (Suburban), Maharashtra has developed a QR Code for effective use of e-content in teaching and learning of Physics. He has published research papers on innovative teaching methods.
- Bijay Kumar Pandey, PGT English at Sainik School Ambikapur, Mendra Kalan, Ambikapur, Surguja, Chhattisgarh has introduced innovative practices to impart English Language Communication skills in an enjoyable manner. He is a state level resource person for NDA-cum-career orientation.
- Reeta Bali, TGT at Central School for Tibetans, Herbertpur, Vikas Nagar, Dehradun, Uttarakhand has consistently achieved 100% result during the last five years by making science learning joyful through the use of innovative techniques. She promotes teaching of Hindi language and organises an environmental Olympiad. She played a key role in developing an herbal garden in the school.
- Toni Pertin, Vice Principal, Government Higher Secondary School Dambuk, Lower Dibang Valley, Arunachal Pradesh has successfully mobilized the local community for improving school infrastructure.
- Archana Barua, Head Teacher 1 No. Alubari Junior Basic School, Ward No-4, Margherita Town, Tinsukia, has shown keen interest in creating a joyful environment in a remote habitation near the border. She has made effective use of activity based learning. She has promoted cleanliness drives, tree planting and medicinal garden in the school.
- Mutum Tombimacha Singh, Primary Teacher at Tekcham Girls Upper Primary School, Tekcham Village, Thoubal, Manipur has mobilized community support for enhancing enrolment among girls in a remote and economically underprivileged location. He has taken special care to encourage children with special needs to be mainstreamed and to participate in national level sports competitions.
- Dr. (Smt.) Hannah Yonzan, Principal, Government Senior Secondary School, Rangpo, Duga, East Sikkim, Sikkim has demonstrated exceptional leadership skills and introduced One Teacher One Class, Child-centric pedagogy, printrich classrooms, child-friendly furniture, Star Student Award, Super Star Student Award, Super Mom Award. Sharing Day, Kindness Wall etc. She has introduced a concept “Conversation with the Principal” to encourage verbal ability and confidence among students.
- Jayanta Nath Maji Head Master Government High School Keifang, Thingsulthliah, Aizawl, Mizoram has worked with dedication to improve the infrastructure in his school through community participation.
- Bakordor W. Bannett, Principal, Pariong Presbytery Higher Secondary School Pariong, Mawthadraishan, West Khasi Hills ,Meghalaya has innovatively deployed effective teaching strategies, zero budget teaching learning materials, Rubrics, Formative Assessment etc. for improved learning outcomes.
- Pabitra Mohan Dash, Assistant Teacher at Project Upper Primary School Khataluguda, Borigumma, Koraput, Odisha has successfully mobilized the local community to donate land for the school playground. Demonstrating outstanding leadership qualities, he developed computer lab, herbal garden, nutrition garden and rock garden for joyful learning of Maths, Science and Language.
- Satyen Kumar Roy, Teacher from Mount Moriah School Ungma, Ongpangkong, Mokokchung, Nagaland successfully developed positive attitude towards joyful learning of mathematics among students.
- Anamika Deb Barma, Head Mistress, Bijoykumar Girls HS School, Agartala, Sadar, West Tripura, Tripura has been actively involved in enhancing enrolment. She has taken initiatives like “Vidyalaya Chalo Abhiyan”, admission fair, vocational classes, reading corner etc.
- Dr. Subhas Chandra Datta, Head Master, Kanchannagar D N Das High School HS, Burdwan Municipality, Barddhaman, West Bengal resolved not only the long pending issue of an encroached playground, but also successfully renovated the school building and other infrastructure with the help of the community. He has published several research papers and articles . His innovations include use of school building as a learning aid, birds nests in the school banyan tree, biodiversity box etc. He has developed the concept of “Idea Board” to tap the creative spirit of the children.
- Sandhya Pradhan, Head Master at Oriya MS Adityapur, Adityapur, Gamharia, Saraikela-Kharsawan, Jharkhand has developed books in Odia language with illustrations drawn by her own students and this has resulted in substantial increase in enrolment with a negligible dropout rate. She has also developed a Terrace Garden in the school.
- Manju Rana, Principal, Seth Anandram Jaipuria School, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh promotes creativity, environmental sensitivity and academic excellence among students.
- Vineeta Garg, PGT Computer Science at SRDAV Public School, East Delhi, Delhi has prepared e-content like teaching videos, blogs, android apps, animation videos and interactive content. She has also designed audio visual books for students with special needs. Her “Robotics For All” campaign has helped to create interest in Science, Maths and Computers among young students.
- Iyer Revathy Rajaram, PGT Kendriya Vidyalaya, MEG, Sivanchetty, Bengaluru, Karnataka has developed e-content for teaching Hindi at the higher secondary stage. She was a key member in the development of Simple Teacher Friendly calendar for continuous and comprehensive evaluation.
- Remya Parameswar Iyer, PGT Biotechnology at Kendriya Vidyalaya Khanapara, Kamrup Metropolitan, Guwahati, Assam strives to ensure that every child must make progress imbibed with human values and skills necessary for 21st century. She developed a new and modern biotechnology lab in her school.
- Radhika Dalvie, Principal, Wisdom World School, Hadapsar, Kumar Picasso, Pune, Maharashtra has been involved in establishing systems, building infrastructure and teacher training to provide holistic education to prepare global citizens out of her students. Significantly, she has also rescued and rehabilitated many abandoned children during the last 7 years and created a safe home for them